CLASSIC SALMON TARTAR
One of my first restaurant jobs i was in the "garde manger" section also known as the appetizer section. Salmon tartar was one of the specialties and I would prepare hundreds of it a night. This recipe is a play on my experience and the way I enjoy having my salmon tartar. And it seems to be a fan fav because every time we cater to our clients they always request this one! So here is the secret recipe.
- 500g sushi grade salmon (or simply ask for salmon fresh enough for tartar)
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mango cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce of your choice (I like sriracha)
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil or grape seed oil
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
Cut the sushi into small cubes. It is important to work fast and keep the fish as cold as possible. Once the salmon is cut replace into the fridge.
In a seperate bowl add the green onions, mango, coriander, mayonnaise, hot sauce, oil, lemon and lime zest and juice. Add in the salmon and combine all the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This serves up great on a crispy element; cracker, chip or cone.