VEAL SCALOPPINI STACKS
- 6 veal scallopini or cutlets
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Vegetable oil to fry the cutlets
- 2 large Mozzarella di Bufala, thinly sliced
- 8 basil leaves to garnish
- San Marzano Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can San Marzano tomatoes, puréed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the veal in half because the piece tends to be long. Using 2 pieces of parchment paper pound out the scaloppini or cutlets until they are thin (about ¼ of an inch thick). Set aside.
- Line up 3 shallow bowls; fill one with the flour, the other with the eggs and the last with the breadcrumbs. Season each bowl with salt and pepper. Whisk the eggs with a fork. Continue to season the breadcrumbs with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, lemon zest, fresh thyme and parsley, garlic powder and mix.
- Dip the veal in the flour, shake off the excess, then dip into the egg, and lastly into the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Prepare the San Marzano sauce in a small sauce pot. Warm the olive oil add in the garlic and cook until golden. Add in the puréed San Marzano tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat ¼ inch of vegetable oil on medium high heat. Place the cutlets and cook about 2-3 minutes per side. Once cooked, place them on a wired rack sitting on a baking sheet to keep the cutlets crispy. Repeat until all the veal is cooked (you may need to add in extra vegetable oil).
- On a parchment lined baking sheet make stacks of veal scaloppini by layering the veal cutlet, 1 tablespoon of San Marzano sauce, fresh mozzarella and repeat until there are 3 layers. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
MY INSTAGRAM FEED