V’s Classic Bolognese Sauce
Everyone has their Bolognese recipe and the secrets behind that recipe are what make every bite of pasta so perfect. This is my secret family recipe that I know you will love!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500g ground veal
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stocks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup white wine
- 1-28oz can San Marzano tomatoes
- 500mL vegetable stock
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup 35% cooking cream
- Parmigiano Reggiano to garnish
- In a large Dutch oven, warm the olive oil on medium high heat and add in the ground veal. Season with salt and pepper. Allow it to cook at least 2-3 minutes to get a golden crust. Begin to crumble the meat using a wooden spoon. Add in the fennel seeds.
- To the meat add in the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the tomato paste and stir to coat all the meat and veggies. Deglaze the pan with white wine and allow the wine to reduce to half. Add the San Marzano tomatoes, vegetable stock and parsley. Partially cover the pot with the lid and allow it to simmer 20 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally to ensure that it is not sticking.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the ziti and cook according to the package instructions. Strain and reserve in the pot.
- Remove the lid from the sauce, add in the peas and the cream. Check for seasoning. Cook for 5 additional minutes, then combine half the sauce to the pasta. Plate the pasta then top with additional sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano.