Mushroom Veal Stroganoff on Fresh Egg Tagliatelle
- 500g veal cubes
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Butter and olive oil to cook with
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms of your choice, I like a combination of crimini and white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cognac or white wine
- 2L vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup 35% cooking cream
- 500g egg tagliatelle, cooked according to package instructions
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- In a shallow bowl, place the flour and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the veal cubes and set aside.
- In a low Dutch oven or pot, warm a combination of 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter. Sear the veal cubes until browned on each side. Remove from the pan and transfer to a dish.
- In the same pot, add butter and olive oil and sauté the onions and mushrooms for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with cognac and cook for 2-3 minutes. (IMPORTANT whenever you are deglazing with alcohol, close the heat add in the alcohol allow it to cook out, then put the heat back on again. Also, it is always advisable to stand back when turning the heat back on).
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and add the veal back in. Cover partially with a lid and allow it to cook for 90 minutes. Remove the lid, the sauce should be reduced to a thicker consistency, if not then cook on high to get the right thickness.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper. Add in the parsley and cream and cook for an additional 2 minutes
- On medium heat, toss the pasta with the sauce. Plate with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
MY INSTAGRAM FEED