Potato & Leek Soup with Mini Veal & Ricotta Meatballs
The perfect mix of creamy warm soup topped with the most delicious savory veal meatballs! It truly is comfort food at it's best.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed, and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 large yellow potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large, sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2L vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup 35 % cooking cream
- Fresh tarragon leaves to garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil to garnish
- 250g ground veal
- ¼ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp tarragon, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the butter on medium high heat. Add in the leeks, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 6-8 minutes or until they have softened. Add in the garlic, potatoes, and sweet potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Cover with vegetable stock and allow it to come to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 40-45 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Close the heat.
- While the soup is cooking in a medium sized bowl combine the ground veal, ricotta, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, onion powder, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Using clean hands mix until everything is well combined. To portion, use a teaspoon measure and lightly roll with your hands to shape. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Using a hand blender; blend the soup until it is creamy in texture. On medium high heat, add in the cream and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary.
- Plate the soup in individual bowls, then top with 5-7 mini veal meatballs, garnish with fresh tarragon and extra virgin olive oil.