Veal Apple & Gruyere Arrancini
Crispy, cheesy golden delicious bites that truly are the perfect appetizer. This recipe may require a couple of steps but the fun part is that you can make a couple of things in advance and fry them off fresh!
- 300g ground veal
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large apple, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1L vegetable stock, room temperature
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying (Canola Oil is great as well)
- Warm the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add in the veal and cook until browned. Add the onion, apple and garlic cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the rice and toast for about 2 minutes. Deglaze with wine. Once the liquid has evaporated and you can draw a line to separate the rice without it coming back together you know you are ready to add more liquid.
- Add enough vegetable stock to cover the rice; simmer over medium-high heat until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat 3-4 times. On the third time stir in the parsley and chives. Once the rice is cooked to your liking turn off the heat and add cheese and butter, continue to stir until both the cheese and butter are melted. Lastly, season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly spread the risotto on a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate until cooled completely.
- While the risotto cools prepare the breading station; a bowl with flour seasoned with salt and pepper, a bowl with eggs whisked and seasoned with salt and pepper, and a bowl with breadcrumbs.