GNOCCHI ALLA VANESSA
I call these Gnocchi alla Vanessa because these are unlike most gnocchi you have ever tried, the best way to describe them is that they are just like little pillows in your mouth. Another recipe that can be adapted according to the cheese, and spice you like but this combination really is remarkable!
- 1/2 cup mascarpone, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 lemon zested
- 1/2 cup grated Parmegiano Reggiano
- 2 large potatoes mashed (Yukon Gold)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour, plus extra for forming the gnocchi
- 1 classic tomato sauce recipe
In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone, egg, egg yolk, nutmeg, Parmesan, mashed potato and the salt and pepper. Slowly add the flour until you have reached a dough that does not stick to your hands
Refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes
Sprinkle your working surface with flour, cut the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll the dough into long logs. Using a sharp knife cut little squares of 1/2 an inch and place on a floured tray.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in 1/3 of the gnocchi into the water, they should sink to the bottom of the pot and then float, cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Strain the gnocchi and reserve in a bowl.
Top the gnocchi with warmed classic tomato sauce!