Roasted Eggplant & Green Olive Penne
- 1 package (500g) penne rigate
- 2 small eggplants, halved (the smaller the better because there are less seeds)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of putted and halved large green olives
- 1 cup fresh basil torn
- Optional: Parmigano Reggiano or pecorino romano if you wanted a vegan version simply omit.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.2. On a parchment lined baking sheet place the eggplants skin side down, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place them skin side up and roast in the oven 15-20 minutes or until they have softened. Once they are cooked remove from the oven and scoop out the eggplant leaving the skin behind.
3. In a large skillet on medium high heat warm the olive oil, add in the chilli pepper and the garlic. Then add in the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.4. Add in the eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Then place in the olives cook an additional 2 minutes. Reserve.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt liberally. Add in the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package. Strain and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.6. Add the pasta to the sauté pan and mix together. Add the cooking water as you see fit.
7. Lastly, add in the basil and cheese of your choice. Plate the pasta, finish the dish with an extra drizzle of olive oil and some extra cheese over top.